Packard and Studebaker merged in the years 1956-1964 and Packard used a re-badged Studebaker Golden Hawk for this car series. A couple of the design changes included
a wide horizontal opening above the bumper and a raised hood to permit a special supercharger on the engine for more power. As well, the roof line appeared more dynamic. The Studebaker Golden Hawk at this time was
considered the company's best car design to date. Many thought the Packard Hawk was a superior design; it even featured padded armrests just outside the windows.
The car was powered by a 289 cubic inch V8 engine yielding 275 horsepower and was considered by some as the fastest Packard ever made.
Fewer than 600 of these cars were sold and it is regarded as a rare collector's car today. Studebaker`s South Bend plant ended production on December 20, 1963, however the car plant in Hamilton, Canada, continued
making the cars until March 16, 1966.