Studebaker was pleased with the introduction of the Champion in 1939 and then again in 1940 as it helped in making the company a surplus profit in
each of those years. For 1941, the design of the vehicle was turned over to Raymond Loewy design team again and the car was given a longer, lower look.
The front end was made to look larger by taking out the center grill and replacing it with two low horizontal grills having many vertical bars. The
Studebaker "S" symbol was affixed to the very nose of the car.
The car had a 119" wheelbase and was powered by an inline six-cylinder 170 cubic inch engine giving 80 horsepower with a 3-speed manual
transmission. The seats in the front were widened to 54.25 inches and the rear seats were 48 inches. Custom Deluxe models had front door armrests
and chrome instrument board moldings.
Studebaker sold 85,000 Champion units in 1942 and the model became the single, best-selling line ever for the company.